District Governor Diane’s Message - March 1, 2017
I can’t imagine not being able to turn on the tap in our home to get water to drink, wash dishes, have a shower or having access to a toilet. All around the world water is a priceless resource that we often take for granted.
March is Water & Sanitation Month.
It is hard to believe that in our world today:
- 663 million people – twice the population of the USA- or 1 in 10 people- lack access to safe water
- 2.4 billion people-one third of the global population- 1 in 3 people- lack access to a toilet
- 80% of sewage in developing countries is discharged untreated directly into water bodies
- More people have a mobile phone than a toilet
- Every 20 seconds a child dies as a result of poor sanitation. Access to sanitation along with the practice of good hygiene and a safe water supply could save 1.5 million children a year.
From our RI website we learn that “Clean water is a basic need for human beings”. When you in your Club do water and sanitation projects, a significant percent of them focus on water.“ When people, especially children have access to clean water, they live healthier and more productive lives”. As Rotarians we are motivated to take on projects to provide safe water sources by building wells, installing rainwater harvesting systems and teaching community members how to maintain this new infrastructure to make it sustainable.
In our own District over the years, we have experienced the significant impact that unsafe water has in some of our communities.
During March, Rotary Water and Sanitation Month, we’re celebrating our commitment as Rotarians to create healthier communities by supplying clean water and sanitation facilities to prevent the spread of infectious diseases including polio.
WASRAG (Water & Sanitation Rotary Action Group)- wasrag.org
WASRAG was founded in 2007. They support Rotarians and Rotary clubs in sustainable water and sanitation projects around the world by providing reliable planning and alternative sources of matching funds.
Their mission is to improve the life and livelihood of those in need by helping provide safe water and adequate sanitation by facilitating access to well-developed sustainable projects and funding sources.
March Events for your Calendar!
During March we acknowledge World Water Day on March 22nd. What will you and your Club do to acknowledge this precious resource? Please share with us your WWD activities.
The week of March 13-19 is World Rotaract Week. Let’s celebrate with our Rotaract Clubs!